…when I was pregnant with Red Ted, a good friend sent me the now adapted recipe below for yummy Granola Bars/ Flapjacks. I have since passed it on to other expecting & new mummies/ made batches to share with them. What is great about these bars is that when you need an energy fix (during pregnancy or breastfeeding), they are packed not only with the energy you need (sugar, honey) but also with goodness, such as Iron (Pumpkin Seeds, Apricots) or Omega 3 (Walnuts, Linseeds etc) – depending on what you decide to chuck in… and they taste yummy. They also last for ages. I carry one or two wrapped in foil in my hand bag for those energy emergencies and have just added some to my hospital bag!
- 175g unsalted butter
- 140g clear honey
- 250g demerara sugar
- 350g porridge oats
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
+ I vary this according to what I have in:
- 85g walnuts
- 85g raisins
- 85g dried apricots (chopped)
- 85g pumpkin seeds
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g sesame seeds
- Recently, I added cranberries and Linseeds for extra goodness!
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas5.
- Use a deep edge tray.
- Melt butter and honey, then stir in sugar (I use the pan on the scales to weigh out the honey and butter, thus avoiding any sticky messes in measuring bowls).
- Cook over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 mins.
- Mix all remaining ingredients together (again, I just use one bowl to measure these all out in, reducing the washing up!).
- Then add to the melted butter/honey/sugar. Mix well.
- Tip into tin and press down (About 1cm thick?).
- Bake for 15 mins until the edges are starting to brown (I find I bake it for 20-30min!).
- Allow to cool & cut into fingers.
- Store in air tight container (and hide from The Englishman & Red Ted).
Hope you enjoy!