Ok, so we still have a bit of summer left to ripen those tomatoes, but if you are already fretting about the beautiful greeness of your homegrown veg not reaching that even more beautiful red, here is my annual Green Tomato Chutney recipe. The fussy Englishman, actually prefers it over Branston Pickle!!! I love this a small autumnal gift when visiting friends…
Ingredients: (makes about 1.5kg)
1.1kg green tomatoes
125g seedless raisins
1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
12g root ginger
2 red chillies
250g Demerara sugar
300ml malt vinegar
1) Finely chop the tomatoes & onions.
2) Place the two in a pan, sprinkle with the salt and leave for at least an hour.
3) Add the raisins and sultanas.
4) Bruise the ginger and chillies and put with the other spices into a piece of muslin (I have used tea eggs in the past too), tie firmly and add to the pan with the vinegar.
5) Bring to the boil and then switch down to a simmer, add the sugar stirring frequently until dissolved.
6) Continue stirring occasionally and press onto the muslin bag until thickened.
7) Remove the muslin bag.
8) Pour into sterilised jars and seal.
Hope you enjoy!